Monday, April 7, 2014

Quick Impression: 2013 Ford Escape SEL

I apologize for neglecting this space for the last six months. I've been busy with other things; and, frankly, I haven't had anything really review worthy to write about. So, in lieu of a full blown review, I thought I'd take a few minutes to give a quick rundown of the Ford Escape that AVIS bestowed upon me in Baltimore last week. I only had it for one night and a day for a grand total of 30 miles or so. Thus, the lack of experience upon which to base an in depth review.

Standard disclaimers apply: my money paid for the rental, my company is paying me back, FTC go soak your heads and eat a turd flavored donut.

Exterior Styling:
The Escape looks a lot better than it used to. I didn't get a chance to take pictures of it because I was too busy taking pictures of the first car AVIS tried to foist off on me (a Nissan Altima that had collision damage on all four sides). The Escape was redesigned for 2013, and Ford took a page from the redesign of the Focus and Fusion and applied it to the Escape. Gone is the boxiness of the 2012 and prior exteriors. I think it actually looks nice for a compact SUV. The only item of note on the exterior from my brief exposure was the keyless entry code numbers were moved from the door panel to the "B" pillar part of the door/window frame. Oh, and they are no longer buttons as they are touch screen like sensors.

Interior Styling/Comfort:
Whoever designed the AC vents should be taken out and shot. The seats were comfortable. Head room even with the sunroof was excellent for my 6 foot 4 inch frame. The telescoping and tilt adjustable steering wheel had the distinction of being the first steering wheel ever that I have been unable to control with my knees. The center console was nicely done and uncomplicated. Visibility was decent to the front and sides; however, the rear view mirror doesn't help much thanks to a small rear window and tall rear seat backs. Baggage space in the rear cargo area was quite roomy for the size of the vehicle.

Engine/Performance:
It has an engine. I had no trouble getting up to speed on the highway. That's about I all I can tell you there. The best gas mileage I saw out of it, according to the computer, was 24.1 MPG on the highway. Frankly, that's disapppointing.

Ride/Handling:
No issues to report. The ride was smooth for a small SUV.

That's all I've got for now. I wish I had had more time with it to give you a better review, but that will have to do for now.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I have had my eye on those as well as some other SUVs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Momma Fargo, depending on your needs, this may not a good choice. For an around town grocery getter, no problem. Highway driving, no problem. Any thought of off road at all, probably not a good idea.

    ReplyDelete

Basically, the "Golden Rule" applies. You get what you give. Treat others like trash here, and your comments will be trashed accordingly.